Boring is Okay


2018 for me is being content with the fact that life has its ups and downs. We have our highs and we have our lows and the majority of in-between is just a little bit boring. Boring is okay with me. Boring is sometimes wonderful in its normalcy. Boring for me isn't the opposite of busy...because I can definitely be busy and bored at the same time! Boring is normal, plain, mediocre. It can be great.

I am trying to teach my children this as well. These past school holidays have had many highs and many lows. Emotions are all over the place and it feels like we still haven't caught up on much rest.
When we do manage a simple day at home the children wander around saying they are hungry or bored - this is always followed by an incredulous look from me. There are Christmas gifts which still haven't even been played with! I quietly like that they can experience 'boredom' as it means they need to find something to do, discover, search, create without an obvious guideline.

A 'boring' life suits me just fine for the majority of the time. It doesn't have to have negative connotations. It's the in-between of high and low, excitement and dullness, happy and sad. Really I think we expect to be happy and we expect our kids to be happy too much of the time. I know I spend way too much of my time trying to make my children happy. The fact is, they are okay. They are cared for, well fed and they are loved - probably living a life that's amazing in comparison to many unfortunate children in this world.
So yes, boring is okay. Boring is more than okay, and I for one am at peace with the boring, simple, ordinary days.

Popular Posts